IT Project/Portfolio Manager
The Project/Portfolio Manager will be responsible for the oversight and administration of the project/portfolio. This includes working with the management and staff, partnering with key participants across the enterprise, such as technology partners, strategy and execution, and technology business management as well as other department leads to assess, oversee project commencement and prioritization; perform project resource planning; continuous monitoring and reporting on project status; participate in the department’s change management process; identify potential projects that best align with the strategic priorities and play an integral role in the annual budgeting process. The Project Manager will also work to develop and implement best practices, processes, and toolsets for effective portfolio/project management, and will help educate staff on best practices and effective project execution.
Project/Portfolio responsibilities include: oversight of our upcoming demand via intake process, assisting IT management with continuous portfolio management (status, projections, resource planning, new request monitoring), ongoing budget reviews (actual vs budget analysis, projections, periodic reporting), projected cost in the future across the portfolio, Perform analysis to understand resource commitments, burn rates and total program costs at completion and working directly with development teams to resolve conflicts and highlight portfolio changes. Individuals in this role can operate fairly autonomously in some areas but there is still a considerable amount of supervision required. This role requires a high level of collaboration across multiple teams and roles.
- Act as a key point of contact for intake process. This includes working with IT executive teams, facilitating the estimation process. There is some representation required of the teams ability to meet the new requests or represent tradeoffs/ incremental resource needs but this is mostly handled by more senior members of the team.
- Facilitate the project forecasting process for assigned teams and provide revised forecasts and variances to management on a monthly basis. This includes timely reporting of actuals to forecast as well as key project changes, variances, and risks. Ensure all team managers and Executive Directors are aware of the impacts and can justify changes appropriately.
- Coordination of the annual budget process and working across teams to meet submission timelines and requirements. Ensure alignment across areas. Provide management with reports and work with more senior members of the team on recommendations and outcomes throughout the process.
- Maintaining & Improving the existing Portfolio Management Processes including Reporting , Automation, Project Administration, Workday and JIRA.
- Work with Finance Teams to balance budget specifically around professional fees. This includes managing the pro fee forecasts, working with the teams to enforce exit plans for those running over budget, escalating issues to management, and ensuring resources are aligned to appropriate funding.
- Perform project scheduling, resource planning, leveling and management (forecast impacts on staffing where project scope may have changed) – as well as effective use of metrics, and reporting for Technology initiatives
- Establish clear lines of communication with stakeholders to keep them informed on progress, budget, and issues and to ensure the priorities are understood.
- Ensure resource, financial, and operational objectives for the initiatives are met by partnering with Portfolio Management, Execution Management, Release Management and contributing recommendations by collecting metrics to optimize and improve processes for IT management
- Work with all levels of leadership to ensure project initiatives are managed and maintained; develop executive level presentations of the portfolio and project budget.
- Recalibrate the portfolio as necessary when the demands of the business dictate a change in delivery or scope of work.
Skills and Software Requirements:
- PM should be highly engaged, assertive, entrepreneurial in spirit with respect for processes, accountability and decision traceability as well as aspire towards leadership. Excellent written, verbal, interpersonal, leadership, facilitation, negotiation and presentational skills absolutely required.
- Minimum of 3-5 years’ industry experience in large scale implementations preferably in the professional services sector, with an emphasis on enterprise information systems across multiple functions.
- Minimum of 3-5 years’ experience in portfolio, program and/or project management with a successful project management track record in full life cycle information technology implementation projects, with proven record of execution to time and budget.
- Solid experience with portfolio demand management and resource staffing management
- Thorough knowledge and related work experience of the project management process, theory and lifecycle, including Waterfall and Agile methodology, as well as Project Delivery Framework and SDLC.
- Knowledge and understanding of standard project management tools (for example, Microsoft Project, Clarity, PPM), with a thorough understanding of Resource Allocation and Portfolio/Project Management best practices.
- Proficient in Excel. Ability to understand and augment Pivot Tables. Use of advanced concepts including SQL and macros considered a plus
- Experience with generating reports using PowerBI is a big plus
- Deep experience with SQL and data modeling